Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

This subject has been brought up here and there in the past, but I was just curious;  If your record is near 50% or lower and you aren't beating the top rated players or getting to silver rated with your game, why do you continue to play lotto?  

It seems we have a large number of players who are Colonel rated up to low Marshal rated who have played 1000 games or more that rely on still just blind attacks with Marshal early in the game coming down a flank with a Colonel or even a General with a bunch of scouts.  In many cases also if they run Marshal into bomb or spy early, they quit.  They'll never beat any of our silver players, because they know how to stop such attacks and welcome the early Marshal reveal so they can come and finish you off quickly with a good counter attack.

My question is:  Why not change your style if its not working?  Save for maybe a couple Silver players, I know who rely on lotto from time to time, most have a very sound game.

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

I, too, am often amazed that players with astounding amounts of games under their belts (1000 or more) might be rated down in the mid-upper 200's somewhere and they aren't higher rated by now.  I applaud their use of what I assume to be one account to show where they are actually at, but I secretly hope for myself that when I've played 1000 games I'll be able to say that I crept up higher in skill and ranking level all along the way.  

There are plainly different mentalities on the site.  I, for one, do care about my ranking and ELO number, though I hear numerous people who insist otherwise for themselves.  Oh, well, then, I guess if they want to be cannon fodder the rest of their lives, then that's their business.  Jesus said, "For ye have the poor with you always..."  Here, I think we'll always have the poor in playing spirit who do the crazy lotto-ing.  There'll always be those players who have no interest in improvement.   

Gary

• chefwd76 likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I played several times against Montagna4. A this moment (20 march 2014, 15:00 GMT) he has: 

• 9.727 wins
  • 8.579 losses
  • 255 ties
  • Ratio 52,41
  • ELO 521

Because I played him recently he is in my 'Recently met-list' At that time he had an ELO of 479 and about 9.600 wins.

Yesterday his ELO was 643 if I recall it right.

I don't know what he is doing all day (honestly, I do know, he is playing stratego), but it is amazing how this guy or girl is climbing the ladder and is falling down again. He is like a 'jojo'. 

Maxroelofs is always very happy when he gets this opponent  :lol:.

I have to say, last time he wasn't lottoing, but he plays always agressive.

Lucky

• Strobe and TerrorisT like this

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

Wow, that is a heck of a lot of games.  Wow.  Average time 30 minutes?  9727+8579=18,306 games x 1/2 hour = 9153 hours / 24 = 381.375 days.  

That is more than a year...wow.  I say again.  wow.

Must have a REALLY ugly wife.

lol.

Gary

• PsychoPatty and Strobe like this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Gary, if you put it that way, over more then a year, I hope this guy plays a lot of quick games too.
Or maybe they are with four..... Playing marathonstratego.... One or two to get them up the ladder and the others to spoil all their work..

I am happy, after I have read your post, I am not playing a lot... My wife would not appreciate it and she could think she is also ugly....

Lucky
  • chefwd76 likes this

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,951 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

You know guys that even what seems unbelievable when one just looks at the statistics could become something very simple and obvious with some little extended vision. From what you can see on the ranking list Montana4 is Swiss and has obviously some particular connection with the mountains. So let's imagine he is a mountain shepherd spending all his time alone in the Alps, whose only occupation is to watch around that the cows and the sheeps are all ok and milk them at 5 pm to then produce some very famous Swiss cheese sold worldwide. Imagine this player alone with his labtop and satellite internet connection to be like all of us a great stratego lover  and beeing more than happy to be connected with us on stratego.com and you have the very simple explanation to this case.

Stratego.com is open to everybody without distinction of origin or background. Let each player enjoy this game and play it as he is pleased to play it.

Let Montana4 be recognized as the World Stratego Champion in terms of number of stratego games played in a year.... and I'm proud that this champion is a Swiss person.

Napoleon 1er

• chefwd76 and Bizevr like this

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 UFC

UFC

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

When you come to play here all day like montagna      I think you do it right.

I think when you come to chat here all day    I think you look for a freand ,  have no live ,  or hell you must have a monster at home.

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Stratego.com is open to everybody without distinction of origin or background. Let each player enjoy this game and play it as he is pleased to play it.

Let Montana4 be recognized as the World Stratego Champion in terms of number of stratego games played in a year.... and I'm proud that this champion is a Swiss person.

Napoleon 1er

Daniel, you are the ultimate diplomat.

Gary

#9 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

Yes even though my original post was discussing lotto players in general, I did not intend this to be an attack on Montana4.  How do we all know that all the games he played was be him and not perhaps other family members on the name as well?  

#10 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

It is also not my intention to attack Montagna4, but he is an amazing player. Everyone has the right to play stratego in their own way.
Today I met him again and was finished within 3 minutes. This time lottoing his general on a bomb after he knew my marshal.
Most of his games are quick to an end, thats why he plays such an amazing amount of them.
For me it is a challenge to find the right tactics to play him.

Lucky

#11 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

You know guys that even what seems unbelievable when one just looks at the statistics could become something very simple and obvious with some little extended vision. From what you can see on the ranking list Montana4 is Swiss and has obviously some particular connection with the mountains. So let's imagine he is a mountain shepherd spending all his time alone in the Alps, whose only occupation is to watch around that the cows and the sheeps are all ok and milk them at 5 pm to then produce some very famous Swiss cheese sold worldwide. Imagine this player alone with his labtop and satellite internet connection to be like all of us a great stratego lover  and beeing more than happy to be connected with us on stratego.com and you have the very simple explanation to this case.

Napoleon 1er

I hope he does not take out his frustrations on those poor sheep after a loss.

"Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo"

#12 JimmyvonderAtlantis

JimmyvonderAtlantis

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

hmmmm main friend are ungry when I do play to do this. no but many game's ended at 10 minutes en than you can play 6 times in one hour. 18 games at day and 18X7=126X52=8852 games? wow I think main friend tell to me, you want  me or stratego.  :rolleyes:

I chose better for main friend. more lucky than at game play. :wub:

#13 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Just gotta laugh at this game I lost..  First row center guy comes down with his Marshal of course attack center front row I didn't have bomb, then comes charging in took out a Lt, Major, then a Captain, then a scout, then decided for a moment had enough but a few moves later decided not enough lottoed another Major.  I had four bombs on that side of zone he lottoed and amazingly didn't run into a single bomb and my spy was other side of zone.   Of course by then I already lost my General to first guy I checked was a bomb when he was chasing him with his Marshal.  It disgusts me that people are rated a Marshal plays like that.    

#14 sirgeicoad

sirgeicoad

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Just gotta laugh at this game I lost..  First row center guy comes down with his Marshal of course attack center front row I didn't have bomb, then comes charging in took out a Lt, Major, then a Captain, then a scout, then decided for a moment had enough but a few moves later decided not enough lottoed another Major.  I had four bombs on that side of zone he lottoed and amazingly didn't run into a single bomb and my spy was other side of zone.   Of course by then I already lost my General to first guy I checked was a bomb when he was chasing him with his Marshal.  It disgusts me that people are rated a Marshal plays like that.    

u don't suspect a multi-account sneak? are there "real" marshal-level lotto players (serious q)?

#15 Roondy Moose

Roondy Moose

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

There are definitely marshal-level players who lotto, but usually they first scout to ensure the unmoved piece is not a bomb.

I haven't played a marshal-level player who just straight out barreled in with his marshal attacking unmoved pieces. I would suspect a cheat.

Love is a losing game.

#16 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

We play aggressively (my son and I).   

I don't know why some people get upset that I and my son actually attack. 

I grew up playing with the rules slightly different - the scouts couldn't fly into pieces - only next to them.  That lessens the ability of the scout to identify pieces.  So you had to use some pieces to attack unknown pieces.

I get equally upset at playing people that for an entire game cannot and will not attack a single unknown piece.   How interesting is that?  Boring IMO.  And worse yet are the folks that never leave their own side of the board - how can you possible capture the flag???

You should see the insults that get throw at us.  The main accusation seems to be that it means we have no skill.  Perhaps.  But how much skill is necessary to take a 3 and kill a 4 that you know is a 4????

Stratego is a game where you don't know.  Its about making assumptions and then trying to exploit those assumptions.  Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong.  We try to gain the advantage and be able to find the flag.  And I'd point out that many of the critics don't actually try to do this - THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN THE FLAG - IMO The purpose of the game is to find the flag and capture it.  That means you have to attack.

Finally, I will say that WE KNOW HOW TO HIT THE SURRENDER BUTTON!!!!!

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#17 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

I get it Scott you wish to attack, but you captured 6 guys in a row up two majors, two captains (I ran a Captain into a bomb while the attack was going on), lt and still attacking blindly?  Even a hard core attacker should know when to take their winnings and then play to trade off rest of guys to win the game. 

#18 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

The purpose of the game isn't to trade off pieces.  Its to find and capture the flag.  I don't know what number a major or captain is but I assume those are mid tier pieces.  How interesting is it to run around the board trying to trade off 1's and 2's and 3's and 4's?  Not very.  Nor is it in the spirit of the game - which is to find and capture the flag!!!!

I don't remember what game you refer to (and it could have been my son and/or his friends).  Was there a disconnection?  Were insults thrown at you?  Was the clock used as a weapon to waste your time?  Was the surrender button used if/when it was time to admit defeat?

I would hope the first three answers are no and the last one is yes.  And if that is so then what is the problem?  This isn't old maid we are playing.

And I would submit that if nines couldn't attack directly we'd see very different games and people would be forced to try to attack for real (moving your piece into one that you already know isn't an attack).

​Spartan Warriors

#19 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

Well.... it's Karma

Never say never. Tell us a game you should have clearly lost but, won.
Started by Midnightguy, Jan 27 2013 11:37 PM

To all:

See folks. Regardless what you all say about picking your opponent and letting the computer decide the entrants to a game, it's should not be the only way. There has to be someway for MG to get even in a rematch. A button pops up at the end of a match right after the flag is taken or a giveup is enforced or the timer runs out on someone.

When you setup even if you don't expect lotto, try to put a lot of shitter pieces togther, and definitely ensure that your general does not sit in that first lotto row under the lake. Make sure you can diagnol that piece.Then if your major dies on the lotto, perhaps he only gets a lute, and couple scouts etc. You cannot know your opponents if you only play them for the first time, but a rematch option would turn the tables on this sco-lotto-tt Stalin fellow.

Maribo

#20 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

Just remember, Stalin may not have been a nice guy.

BUT HE WON THE GREAT WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So call me anything you'd like - WE WILL ALWAYS ATTACK!!!!!!!

​Spartan Warriors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users