New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Hello all,

My friend and I like to go over our Stratego games afterwards and analyze them play-by-play, figuring out what mistakes we made. Will there be any feature that will allow you to save your games to a file and then look at them afterwards, or perhaps to make a database of your personal games?

Many thanks,
KindlyCoach
  • Colonel Lingus likes this

#2 Prof Imhotep

Prof Imhotep

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Excellent idea!

#3 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

I've been on other sites where they allow review and I see both the good and the bad. The Good - obviously you can learn from the review and analysis. The Bad - It will allow analysis of the opponents setup. I've been on both sides and I must say that I like how this site handles it better - too many people out their trying to game the system. This site does a real good job of preventing that.

My 2 cents.

Spiff

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I feel the same as you Spaceman. Seems like a great idea but another problem you could face: A player looks at review and then takes a screen shot of their opponents setup and sends it to their friends. Would be bad that a player has knowledge of a player before they even faced them.
  • bboys2012 and MasterYoda like this

#5 Guest_NDJ_*

Guest_NDJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

This shouldn't be possible. You should learn by experiencing, rather than reviewing and analyzing. Were it only to prevent setup analysis and recording.

If this were possible, in theory I would be able to write a neural network program that would learn from any game encountered and become an ultimate bot that would play for me or advice me.

Learning should be done by humans and automatic analysis should be prevented.

#6 jordanfan20

jordanfan20

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

This shouldn't be possible. You should learn by experiencing, rather than reviewing and analyzing. Were it only to prevent setup analysis and recording.

If this were possible, in theory I would be able to write a neural network program that would learn from any game encountered and become an ultimate bot that would play for me or advice me.

NDJ, I disagree. In other board games, take chess or checkers for example, good players develop as much from analysis and review as they do from experiences, if not more.

Now if what your saying is possible and hypothetically you could create a computer program that helps you play I'd say that would be great! People would be able to learn and get a lot better at this game, however such software has been attempted and it does not stand a chance against a good human player.

Allowing people to review games would increase the level of play among the entire community. Although setups are important a good player wins by smart decisions. My opponent should adjust his strategy to compete against and defeat me, not expect the same strategy to work over and over again. If I play an opponent and they use the same strategy as they did last time I played them then I should have no problem beating them.

I think people here are over estimating the power of setups. Giving away setups=more of a focus on decision making.
  • ichae likes this

#7 Lady Kathryn

Lady Kathryn

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

jordanfan20
NDJ, I disagree. In other board games, take chess or checkers for
example, good players develop as much from analysis and review as they
do from experiences, if not more.

Aye, and there's tha' rub, Unlike Checkers or chess, Stratego is all abouy set-up and strategy. Revealing set-ups would injure the integrity of the game and put that player at a serious disadvantage. 

NDJ:  :) :) :) :) :)    jordanfan20: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

utilize screen capture, record your set-up, and make written note to attach when you print your set-up later

in tournament play, during set-up, it is permitted to use a 'play book' containg your set-up. but, not make notes during the game. I nhavr such a book, and printouts of all my set-ups. I think it unethical (i.e. cheating) to attempt to scry an opponent's set-up.

www.dvdvideosoft.com     FREE Screen Recorder --- Windows 7 has such a program built in. open Start menu, and enter  psr  in the search box.

wc 2010x2.jpg

#8 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm also not in favour of allowing other matches to see.

A ranked match is played between two people and it should only be their concern.

In live tournaments you can't look as well so why would we allow it here?

About the setups,...I don't mind if my opponent writes some stuff down about my army.

Or he can maybe put a piece of gum on detected pawns, trying to remember the piece.

I can't see that, I can't know that and you can't control it anyway.

I do mind if players use memorize tools so that they don't even have to take the effort to memorize a piece.

If you write it down or you keep your finger constantly at a high officer, then I don't mind because at least you're doing an effort yourself to memorize his army.

If other players want to analyse their opponent and keep all kinds of databases with setups, playstyle, bluff attempts and so on,....that is totally up to them and I don't mind this at all to be honest.

At least he's doing some efforts to improve his game.

That's the difference between playing online and in real life,......in real life nothing from above is accepted.

You just gotta figure it out while playing, no guidelines, no nothing,....only pure skills will pull it off.

But you can't compare it to online playing,....it's not the same and people will be tempted to change their game behaviour.

That's why you will always have these issues, you can't stop it.

There will always be guys who are gonna use the memorize tool anyway.

There will always be guys who will write down your complete setup and try to defeat you with other accounts as well and there will always be players that will chase forever.

The only thing we truly can avoid is the cheating glitch part.

Then we only have to deal with chasers,............untill there is a decent anti-chase rule and maybe then we'll get the true gameplay back of playing LIVE against each other.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#9 Ash

Ash

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Myself i like being able to 'record' and rewatch the games i play (not just stratego), however we decided to not implement the replay functionality for the stated reasons in this topic, and furthermore this would take considerable amount of time to develop....time that could better be spent on placing a good ant-chase rule ;) (just so you know...i'm pushing the chase rule feature here...though i cannot make promises on when / how this will be done)

What we are thinking about doing (hopefully there is time for this soon) is supplying an extended game-over / statistics screen. From which you will be able to request the setup of your opponent (opponent has to accept). I think this statistics window was designed a while back already ..... i'll see if i can find it for you guys.

#10 Ash

Ash

Scout

• Stratego Staff
  • 78 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

See attachment, This was designed a while back...so don't ask me what "Review Battlefield" does...as i forgot :P

Also know i am not making any promises that we will be making this any time soon (hope so though).

Anyhows, what do you guys think of a game over screen like this where there is a a button to request the opponents setup ("Req. show setup") and a graph showing when what was captured?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users