Photo

Stratego move time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

Poll: About setup time/time buffer (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about the time you have for each move?

1. Keep the same move timer, 15 seconds (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Increase the move timer to 20 seconds (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. Lower the move timer to 12 seconds (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. Lower the move timer to 10 seconds (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

5. Voted Lower the move timer to 8 seconds (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

6. Lower the move timer to 5 seconds (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

How long shall the setup time last?

1. Keep the same setup time, 7 minutes (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. Increase the setup time to 8 minutes (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

3. Lower the setup time to 6 minutes (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

4. Lower the setup time to 5 minutes (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

5. Lower the setup time to 4 minutes (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

6. Voted Lower the setup time to 3 minutes (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

How do you want to see the game buffer?

1. Keep the same game buffer, 5 minutes (21 votes [47.73%])

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

2. Increase the game buffer to 6 minutes (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. Increase the game buffer to 8 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

4. Lower the game buffer to 4 minutes (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

5. Voted Lower the game buffer to 3 minutes (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

6. Lower the game buffer to 2 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

7. Increase the time buffer to 10 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

Vote

#41 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

What is classic about 15 seconds per move?

When sitting across the board from someone I never recall taking 15 seconds to make every move.  Maybe once or twice a game you give your next move or series of moves a thought - but that's it.

15 seconds is arbitrary and should be severely reduced!!!

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#42 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:56 AM

What is classic about 15 seconds per move?

When sitting across the board from someone I never recall taking 15 seconds to make every move.  Maybe once or twice a game you give your next move or series of moves a thought - but that's it.

15 seconds is arbitrary and should be severely reduced!!!

You're completely correct, Scott.  It's obvious that 15 seconds per move is way too much.  Like you, I've been up against opponents using up the entire clock - games that should normally take 20 minutes taking up to an hour.  They are likely either hoping to bore me to death or they are cheating and copying down pieces.  The results of the survey indicate that players prefer a shorter 'per-move' timer by almost a 2:1 margin, and this change should be implemented immediately.  

#43 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

You're completely correct, Scott. It's obvious that 15 seconds per move is way too much. Like you, I've been up against opponents using up the entire clock - games that should normally take 20 minutes taking up to an hour. They are likely either hoping to bore me to death or they are cheating and copying down pieces. The results of the survey indicate that players prefer a shorter 'per-move' timer by almost a 2:1 margin, and this change should be implemented immediately.

There you go, Scott. You have the backing of one of my favorite teachers here and one of our most esteemed American colleagues. It just goes to show there is high-level agreement with your position.

I must say, however, that there is a little exaggeration with the math here. As the current vote count is 13 for staying the same and the next highest number was 8 votes for 10 seconds, there is hardly a 2:1 consensus against the status quo. Even when one adds up all the other vote totals he only gets 20 votes all combined. So even then (at 20:13) there is still not close to a two to one majority, apart from a healthy rounding.

Nevertheless, Scott, it's possible something will get experimented with this issue later when programmers return. Though not a statistical majority, there's clearly interest.
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#44 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

same o same o

#45 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:52 AM

They don't need to vote. They just need to apply what makes sense. A reduction.
The vote is swayed. I can see the average rank of the posters has something to do with wanting to leave timer alone. Some say "I need time to think". If you change the timer to 10 seconds you can think for 15 seconds, and only 5 of them will count against you.
In 5 minutes of personal game time you have (here comes the math again Gary), 300 seconds/5 = 60 total moves to "think" as much as 15 seconds.

I would like you to start keeping track of your games, and write down how many times your game clock is still over 4:30 when the games take less than 30 minutes of elapsed time. You'll find you never used more than 30 seconds of personal game clock except games where you burn your free 5 minute overkill time by running to the potty or answer the damn phone.

Maribo, taking the last thing first, I often am using up a large part of my buffer, but whether those games are always longer than 30 minutes I couldn't say. I do often use buffer time for interruptions like phone calls or or bathroom breaks so I like the 5 minute buffer for that reason.

As for the timers your idea, Maribo, is more complicated than simply making the move timer 8 or 10 seconds. Even among those who want a quicker game, I think that there would be people who wouldn't like that as well as just the straight 5, 8, or 10 second move timer.

About your proposition I remain silent for this post. But for those who want a 5 to 10 second move timer, to ensure a game that goes in 20 minutes every time, I say these people are playing recklessly. I do not wish to play so quickly as to be so reckless.

I just played a guy today who was about as crazy playing as I've seen. Our game whisked along. He was trading of everything and doing it so quickly I never got any advantage. He did and won.
  • maribo likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#46 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

Gary likes affirmation

#47 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

scottie. you are the greatest of all time

#48 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

A 10 second timer will not rush anybody

#49 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yes, maribo, that's a case in point. I'm glad you agree. A straight 5 second timer is going to only allow for one style of play, and it's not well thought out.

Gary

#50 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

midnite guy lives in bankrupt town

#51 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Maribo, c'mon. I never said YOUR 10 second clock. I said the STRAIGHT 10 second clock. I'm not disagreeing with you, at least for tonight, on YOUR clock plan.

The point of my post was against the scottrussia style of play, which he's made very public is to be extremely fast. As is evident by your follow-up post, you agree with that feeling.

I think you have good and interesting ideas concerning this clock of yours and the computer issues you've commented on, but you need to take a step down from that embellished pedestal you think you're on. No one's worshipping you this Sunday anywhere as far as I can tell.

#52 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,017 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

For the record, I wouldn't mind an experiment with a faster timer. That's what beta should be about, after all. But for now, with things not really moving, I like the current situation fine. We need to be in a state where we can do a thorough test for a week and then change it again. We need to have programmers back first.

#53 Roondy Moose

Roondy Moose

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

I am in favor of 10 seconds too. And I know how much my opinion means to you all.

Love is a losing game.

#54 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Gary is a city in Indiana

#55 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone

#56 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

befriend me

#57 Reo

Reo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

I hope these questions relate to other problems which has much more priority than this issue..

The only connection I can make with other problems is the "draw refusal" games and/or endless chasing games.

Other than that, instead of even having thoughts about this, we rather should come to solutions such as:

- Draw refusal (As in, how many turns/time for an auto-draw)

- Disconnect problem in setup time (no return)

- Disconnect problem such as "your oppenent has left" without any notice he actually "left" (timers, messages etc.)

- Disconnect problem such as "shockwave crashes" (can't even put youtube on or it may occur

- Reset of the leaderboards/ranksitters

- Leaving "losers" (they should get an internet pop-up with, leaving this game gives you a loss for example)

As, if there is one thing we've learned over the last year, with every update, we get bugs in return.

OT:

- Q1: I voted for 8 seconds.. I think this should be enough, but 10 would be perfect, at times you just need some time to think, anything below is ridiclous

- Q2: I voted to remain this, anything lower than 5 minutes is ridicilous and leave no time to make a set-up.

- Q3: I voted to remain this, 5 min is good enough, think about all "small things" which you don't press pause for..

Kids around, telephone , eating/getting food, ringing doors etc. etc.

At the end of the day, the numbers of players who actually use all time they got, to be unsportsmanship are nihil ever since the draw/pause glitch is gone..
Especially from certain skilllevels.

Having your mind on multiple pieces just takes time..

Those who i've seen complain about certain timers should actually care about their win/loss, step their game up and get to a certain skilllevel..

Running your Marshall/General as fast as possible into the flag or a bomb, ain't what this game is about..

Just try out and experience how much skill and time it takes to keep in track of 4, 5, 6 pieces of your opponent AND keep in mind which pieces on your own side you use as a bluff or something.

No name calling, no (personal) offense, i'm just giving my opinion.

Well, they are all important. But you've got some good ideas too.

- Q1: I voted for 20 seconds, but thats because i have got a slow computer. Oh yeah, and i play slow as well : :P 

BUT! there should be a difference with the mini-game, because even 15 seconds are too much!

- Q2: I voted to remain this, it's good now as it is

BUT! there should be a difference with the mini-game, because even 2 minutes are too much!

We talk about 10 pieces!

- Q3: I voted to increase this, because yesyes i have a slow computer. Especially those sword- and-explosion animations will take forever. Now i know i cannot play more than 3 normal games or i risk losing just because those animations will be the reason i will run out of time.

I also think there should be a 10 second penalty on this buffer when you are disconnected.

BUT! oh surprising...  there should be a difference with the mini-game, because even 1 minute is too much! It's just a mini-game!

#58 Reo

Reo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

and the disconnecting time may be increased. During an exciting battle of an hour my computer mysterious was resetted automatically... I tried to be connected on time, but i didn't made it.

#59 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

Get mom to buy you a new computer and put that windows xp machine you bought in 2002 to bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users