Photo

Stratego move time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

Poll: About setup time/time buffer (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about the time you have for each move?

1. Keep the same move timer, 15 seconds (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Increase the move timer to 20 seconds (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. Lower the move timer to 12 seconds (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. Lower the move timer to 10 seconds (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

5. Voted Lower the move timer to 8 seconds (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

6. Lower the move timer to 5 seconds (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

How long shall the setup time last?

1. Keep the same setup time, 7 minutes (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. Increase the setup time to 8 minutes (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

3. Lower the setup time to 6 minutes (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

4. Lower the setup time to 5 minutes (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

5. Lower the setup time to 4 minutes (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

6. Voted Lower the setup time to 3 minutes (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

How do you want to see the game buffer?

1. Keep the same game buffer, 5 minutes (21 votes [47.73%])

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

2. Increase the game buffer to 6 minutes (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. Increase the game buffer to 8 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

4. Lower the game buffer to 4 minutes (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

5. Voted Lower the game buffer to 3 minutes (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

6. Lower the game buffer to 2 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

7. Increase the time buffer to 10 minutes (2 votes [4.55%])

Vote

#1 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,019 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

We would like to know your opinion on the current time there is in stratego, please answer the next questions.

Thanks to GaryLShelton.

This thread will only be open for a limited time of 4 weeks.

• Dekaeneas-Spy likes this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

Max, the bottom option for the game buffer of 3 minutes is repeated.  With Gregory and David's comments elsewhere that it is typical for ISF tournaments, I think it would be a good idea to drop the second, repeated 3 minute option in favor of a 10 minute option for the game buffer.

Thanks,

Gary

--------------

Edit:  I see the fix now, Max.  It looks good.  Thanks.  Gary

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Nortrom

Nortrom

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

Is this a joke?

I don't care about Q 1 or 3, as long as they are balanced, so I'd like to have the option to skip those questions

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#4 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:20 AM

If you don't care about a certain question, then you must be satisfied with how things are so, just vote to keep as is. 

#5 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:21 AM

Winger (Nortrom) - you haven't even played a game here this year - why are you voting if you're not even playing?

• Aris1970 likes this

#6 The Prof

The Prof

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,390 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

I wouldn't mind trying a shorter move time (like 10 seconds) if it were linked to a longer buffer time (like 8 minutes), but since there was no way to link my two votes, I just voted to keep the same system we have now, except for reducing the set-up time to five minutes.  Overall I think the same move and buffer we currently have keeps the game flowing well enough and doesn't pressure players into mistakes because of lack of time to think.

#7 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

I believe that we must reduce the set up time to the minimum of 3 min.

First of all most players have many set ups saved and for those who have only 3 slots available for set ups they can use this time just to make some changes . If they want a totally different set up they can create that before they start searching for a game.

The main reason of reducing the set up time is that with this we decrease the possibility to have a disconnection issue during that period which guides certainly to lose the game.

I would like to have 1 min additional buffer time (6 min) and according the move timer up to my opinion there is no need to make any changes. 

• Vandwros.I likes this

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Good point on the decreased possibility of lessening the chance of disconnect by shortening the setup time.  

A counterpoint would be that for many new players they only have the minimum three saved setups, plus the lousy system two.  If we cut out the time to set up, then we reduce the time that that player has to adjust on the fly to whomever he is paired against.  I have ten setups.  For me, less setup time would be okay.  But I don't know if it works for everyone.  We would be forcing people to buy battlecoins for new setups if we severely cut the setup time, that's for sure.

GLS

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#9 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,205 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I don't think that 4 euro is so big amount to buy 500 battle coins (means 11 slots for new set up) . 

If someone don't want pay this small fee he can create his set up before  starts  searching for a game.

#10 Lord_AvS

Lord_AvS

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I voted for a decrease of time for each move and to enter your setup. Also keep the buffer the same. This will increase the speed to play games, which is positive in my eyes. We've have enough setups slot (i got around 20 and they are not that expensive). Personally i would love to see that we get some surplus in time for each move we play (like some draugh games). Sometimes I have to think a lot about what the pieces were which decreases my game buffer. If you get for example one second for each move you play (fischer system) this will give players more time to think when the battles are taking ages.

Nothing's good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

#11 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

I've never met a player who used all the movetime for each move. If I play a difficult game I need more time to think. Most of the times I move within 5 seconds. But, when I am in a narrow position, I need time to change my tactical plan.

Last year I had a chat with Nortrom and he told me he did all the thinking in the time of his opponent. Big players can do that and are thinking like chessplayers two or three steps in front. I am not such a player and sometimes I need my 15 seconds AND my 5 minutes buffertime.

I doubt Enigma (?) constantly meets slow players, but yes, you keep them in mind, because it can be irritating. But most of the players of this site (>120.000) are low(er) ranked and they may need the time to think about their moves. I agree, 15 seconds EACH move, thats annoying.

Buffertime up to 6 minutes of more.....I more than once met players who, when they are loosing, leave the game and let you wait for the full 5 minutes. That's in my opinion more worse then 15 seconds per move. But less then 5 minutes? Bad idea too. Keep in mind this site is bigger then 500 topplayers and everybody must have fun here on their own level. 

There is one weak thing about this pole: You can't choose a combination of answers, so you'll never know what is THE wish of the community. When you only look into the answers with the most votes, you don't have it.

I know, it is too much asked to cluster all the questions but then you know what is wanted, but only because a small minority of the 120.000+ players (and forummembers) are voting.

I'll vote to keep everything the same, it is fine by me this way. Maybe lower set up time to 5 minutes.

I have to stop now, my son wants to use the pc.  :D

Lucky

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#12 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,871 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

I did also vote to keep all as is, however I could also agree to reduce slightly the setup time although with 7 minutes it allows for a player who doesn't want to use a saved setup to make a new one from scratch without beeing under time pressure. Also worth to notice that it is in the interest of none of the 2 players to wait for more time than the effective setup time before starting the game and in practice I cannot say to have observed abusive behaviours with the setup time. Sometimes low ranked bronze players seem to need more time for the setup  than silver players but it's probably just a question of experience.

Napoleon 1er

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#13 Nortrom

Nortrom

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

@Spiff

1) I was asked to in a private message

2) You're incorrect about " you haven't even played a game here this year"

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#14 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

The one option that isn't presented (which I would vote for if it was there) is to use the same rules as in the live tournaments.  In the absence of this option, my vote is as follows:

1. Decrease move timer to 8 seconds.  This is more than enough time per move and will reduce stalling.  15 seconds per move is much too long and can result in a very slow game with some opponents.

2. Keep setup time the same (7 minutes).  Reducing the setup time disadvantages players who like to change their setups frequently.  Since you cannot know your opponent ahead of time, you cannot always have the right setup immediately available (especially with only 3 setup slots available), so I think it's important to have adequate setup time.

3. Lower the game buffer to 3 minutes.  Same rationale as #1, keeps the game moving along and limits stalling.  

• Sohal and Vandwros.I like this

#15 scottrussia

scottrussia

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

One way to address the differences in player approach might be to create a fun section and a serious section.  Leave the clocks as they are on the serious section and folks can pontificate all they want about their next move.  In the fun section give three minutes to set up and three or five seconds for a move.  Heck you could even make the fun section have no rankings (or not count in the rankings).

Don't know how difficult that might be technically but it would allow for those that play seriously to not feel infringed upon.

The only downside is that I could see the fun section being the one with all the folks that like to disconnect rather than surrender.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#16 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

I hope these questions relate to other problems which has much more priority than this issue..

The only connection I can make with other problems is the "draw refusal" games and/or endless chasing games.

Other than that, instead of even having thoughts about this, we rather should come to solutions such as:

- Draw refusal (As in, how many turns/time for an auto-draw)

- Disconnect problem in setup time (no return)

- Disconnect problem such as "your oppenent has left" without any notice he actually "left" (timers, messages etc.)

- Disconnect problem such as "shockwave crashes" (can't even put youtube on or it may occur

- Reset of the leaderboards/ranksitters

- Leaving "losers" (they should get an internet pop-up with, leaving this game gives you a loss for example)

As, if there is one thing we've learned over the last year, with every update, we get bugs in return.

OT:

- Q1: I voted for 8 seconds.. I think this should be enough, but 10 would be perfect, at times you just need some time to think, anything below is ridiclous

- Q2: I voted to remain this, anything lower than 5 minutes is ridicilous and leave no time to make a set-up.

- Q3: I voted to remain this, 5 min is good enough, think about all "small things" which you don't press pause for..

Kids around, telephone , eating/getting food, ringing doors etc. etc.

At the end of the day, the numbers of players who actually use all time they got, to be unsportsmanship are nihil ever since the draw/pause glitch is gone..
Especially from certain skilllevels.

Having your mind on multiple pieces just takes time..

Those who i've seen complain about certain timers should actually care about their win/loss, step their game up and get to a certain skilllevel..

Running your Marshall/General as fast as possible into the flag or a bomb, ain't what this game is about..

Just try out and experience how much skill and time it takes to keep in track of 4, 5, 6 pieces of your opponent AND keep in mind which pieces on your own side you use as a bluff or something.

No name calling, no (personal) offense, i'm just giving my opinion.

• maxroelofs likes this

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of *bleeping* A holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your *bleeping* fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy!

2zjf5h4.jpg

#17 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,023 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

#18 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Lower the move timer free buffer to 4 seconds. Add an overall game timer that starts at 60 minutes and winds down to zero. Nothing can pause this timer.  Make this 60 min timer an option a player clicks on when he sets a board to play at.

Decrease the time a game starts from 6 to 3 minutes. Add a popup dialog box that takes over focus of the screen once the game starts so that players DONT FORGET that they even set a board to play. Add an option to not play a game that never starts if both players agree, that will not count as a win or loss or draw, just a nongame.

#19 maribo

maribo

Sergeant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

Some of the opionions expressed here about not lowering the game timer lower than 5 minutes are not based on fact.

90% of my games end with me and my opponent both having 5:00 thats five, as in 5 full minutes left on our timers when the game ends.

Why is this possible? Because in a 300 move game each opponent already has 2,250 seconds to move (about 40 minutes) before the timer even ticks down because of that stupid 15 second clock. It is the stupid 15 second clock that is way off base. If that timer was reduced to 4 seconds the game clock could even rise to 10 minutes and all would be well and no one would be rushed. With my 2,250 seconds I am able to take a piss, dump and shower and still have time to white wash my opponent.

#20 Where Is Ya Flag

Where Is Ya Flag

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Some of the opionions expressed here about not lowering the game timer lower than 5 minutes are not based on fact.

90% of my games end with me and my opponent both having 5:00 thats five, as in 5 full minutes left on our timers when the game ends.

Why is this possible? Because in a 300 move game each opponent already has 2,250 seconds to move (about 40 minutes) before the timer even ticks down because of that stupid 15 second clock. It is the stupid 15 second clock that is way off base. If that timer was reduced to 4 seconds the game clock could even rise to 10 minutes and all would be well and no one would be rushed. With my 2,250 seconds I am able to take a piss, dump and shower and still have time to white wash my opponent.

This won't work, mate..

The problem with this and for example an fischer time as in 10+3 seconds, is that the sore players will have a huge time "advantage" in taunting the better person.. Which always happen near the end of the game..

Sooo. I've been playing 35 minutes versus a good opponent, he run into a bomb, leaving me in an advantage and maybe a clear win..

He can't take it and taunts me..

He let me wait 10 minutes for my victory and maybe even the extra two and half minute for leaving..

See the problem here?

Fisher time, same problem..

Person may have collected a few minutes thanks to our fast game, runs into a bomb, taunts me and I've to wait several minutes to get my victory..

What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of *bleeping* A holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your *bleeping* fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So...what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide--how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy!

2zjf5h4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users