Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

Am I missing something here?  Enigma, you have a red Miner solving the puzzle at E10, but a blue bomb is already in that square.  I don't think it hurts much a potential solution here, but something needs to be tweaked.  Thanks for a response.

GLS

You're right Gary, that is a mistake.  Miner locations should be F10 (NOT E10), H10, J10.  Captains G9 & I8.  Captain on I8 advances to I9.  Bottom line is that the miners need to be trapped into the back row by the 2 captains.   

#22 Pedrag

Pedrag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

I dont think thats correct Enigma, because 1 of the 3 miners might escape.

Better setup imo: Captains I6, G8 and Miners I8, H10, J10 , and first move captain I6 to I7

#23 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

I dont think thats correct Enigma, because 1 of the 3 miners might escape.

Better setup imo: Captains I6, G8 and Miners I8, H10, J10 , and first move captain I6 to I7

I agree that there is more than one correct solution, but if you think mine is wrong then you should illustrate that or describe the series of movements that would lead to a victory for blue.

#24 laine23

laine23

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Thank you

#25 Pedrag

Pedrag

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

I stand corrected, your solution is good Enigma :-)

#26 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Hi everybody,

after a long period without new quizz I wish to ressuscitate this topic as it had generated quite a lot of enthusiasm last year and also because after one year I have some more quizzes. Some of them are coming from some situations MT had to judge for "draw refusal cases". Hope you will enjoy them. Feel free to post your own ones, this topic is intended for sharing experiences and lessons learned. Have fun !!!

Napoleon 1er

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#27 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

Quizz N°4 by Napoleon 1er - No piece is as strong as a bomb to protect the flag

http://imgur.com/bYKnMBv

In this quizz your last move (as blue) was to take a bomb in E1 with your last miner. Red captured your miner with his colonel from E2 to E1. In the following moves he will be only moving his colonel between E2; E1 and F1 back forth. The question is: How do you make it to force him out of that zone in such a way that you can bring one of your piece to the flag? It is your turn to play

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#28 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Quizz N°5 by Napoleon 1er - Single scout versus 3 major pieces is not always a draw

http://imgur.com/C70pqII

This is one of my favourite quizz. I was left with a single scout against 3 major pieces from my opponent, one of the great top dutch players. I asked for a draw but he refused and said he can get my scout. It took him a lot of moves but he finally got it. Will you be able to find the logic my opponent applied to capture the scout with 100% certainty? 

#29 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

Quizz N°6 by Napoleon 1er - passing miners

http://imgur.com/fO7NQcY

This quizz is a classic situation. Your opponent is left with 3 major pieces while you have only 1 but the strongest on the field. You still have minor pieces from which 3 miners but all 3 paths to the other field are protected by one of the major pieces of your opponent so that it looks like it is impossible to pass a miner to the other side. Your opponent knows your colonel in I6 and knows that your scout in B4 has moved but doesn't know it is a scout. For him all other pieces are unknown unmoved and he will not take risk to make any lotto.

However  nothing is impossible to a great warrior. Will you find the tactics that will lead you to victory? It is your turn to play.

#30 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Quizz N°4 by Napoleon 1er - No piece is as strong as a bomb to protect the flag

http://imgur.com/bYKnMBv

In this quizz your last move (as blue) was to take a bomb in E1 with your last miner. Red captured your miner with his colonel from E2 to E1. In the following moves he will be only moving his colonel between E2; E1 and F1 back forth. The question is: How do you make it to force him out of that zone in such a way that you can bring one of your piece to the flag? It is your turn to play

Bring either of your guys diagonal to his colonel's starting position.

3 - 0

#31 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

Quizz N°5 by Napoleon 1er - Single scout versus 3 major pieces is not always a draw

http://imgur.com/C70pqII

This is one of my favourite quizz. I was left with a single scout against 3 major pieces from my opponent, one of the great top dutch players. I asked for a draw but he refused and said he can get my scout. It took him a lot of moves but he finally got it. Will you be able to find the logic my opponent applied to capture the scout with 100% certainty? 

Move 7 up a square. Move 6 to F4. Move 5 down vertically to A7 vertically. Use the two square rule to prevent him from escaping through the flanks. Because of how scouts move with those first two moves he cna never get out. Once 5 and 7 are in rows 7 and 8 move them horizontally across until you get to the right side of the board then scout is easily captured. 

3 - 0

#32 Astros 17

Astros 17

Major

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Quizz N°6 by Napoleon 1er - passing miners

http://imgur.com/fO7NQcY

This quizz is a classic situation. Your opponent is left with 3 major pieces while you have only 1 but the strongest on the field. You still have minor pieces from which 3 miners but all 3 paths to the other field are protected by one of the major pieces of your opponent so that it looks like it is impossible to pass a miner to the other side. However  nothing is impossible to a great warrior. Will you find the tactics that will lead you to victory? It is your turn to play.

Get a piece in the middle of the board diagonal to his captain. Move that piece horizontal to his captain. When he captures it use the two square rule to force him out of the center lane. Then walk a miner down to his side. He might take it but then is down to two guys to defend the flag and with 2 miners left it is easy to win.

3 - 0

#33 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:32 AM

Quiz #5:

Move 7 up a square. Move 6 to F4. Move 5 down vertically to A7 vertically. Use the two square rule to prevent him from escaping through the flanks. Because of how scouts move with those first two moves he cna never get out. Once 5 and 7 are in rows 7 and 8 move them horizontally across until you get to the right side of the board then scout is easily captured. 

If you advance your pieces in rows 7 and 8 then when they get to say H7 and H8 wouldn't the scout just move to J10, then F10 and escape? 

#34 papillon

papillon

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:58 AM

Is the 6 to F4 a critical move in that sequence? At first glance I would have kept its position. Lemme look at this more. Good to have these quizzes back, they were around before my time here.

#35 trickz

trickz

Major

• Banned
  • 1,450 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Yo,

Suppose you don't know  a single piece, only exchanged two caps and three miners, the first phase.

My question : what are the odds if you then lotto with the marsh, tryin' to hurt great?

Is it a good tactic or would you be denyin' these words mate?

You can't! Of course It's mathematically in your favour and that's why it's risin' a turd's faith,

his lottofightin' can earn great, tryin' to turn stakes

so why would he be disguisin' his first lane

if he got the balls to go in right away as guy with the nerves straight?

He knows the deal,....it could pay off very well but it's got the danger as violent as earthquakes,

It's at the same time wise and disturbed mate but based on the size of a first game,

the odds are seventy nine point four percent that he's survivin' this curved case! ;)

Thank Trickz for rhymin' his wordplay!

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

#36 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

Quizz N°7 by Napoleon 1er - how to break a double chase

In the quizz below my opponent was left with 2 captains while i had 2 lieutnants, 2 sergeants and 3 miners. Both flags were sealed and all movable pieces were known. My opponent was double chasing my miners in I4 and G8 in such a way that i could not move any other pieces. How can you force your opponent to break this double chase so that you get the victory (note that the solution is without having to sacrify a miner unless you are sure to get access to the red flag)?

http://i.imgur.com/J3Lun5m.jpg

Quizz N° 7 bis:

Same question as above but with miner in A7 is in A1 instead?

• Kernel Mustard likes this

#37 Kernel Mustard

Kernel Mustard

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

I like Q Number 7 a lot! Just figured it out I think. G8 to I10, then A7 to the flag.

#38 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

That's what I'm thinking too.  If the miner in the middle retreats, he can't kill it without it becoming two miners against one captain defending the flag.  If the captain doesn't kill the miner and it retreats then it will become three miners against two captains.  Either way it's a win for the miners.

#39 Desert Oasis

Desert Oasis

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:19 AM

I would move the miner at I4 laterally to the left and use the bombs to stop the double chase. Then use the third miner to put the nail in the coffin.

#40 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Quizz N°8 by Napoleon 1er - Trapping that last scout gives you clear victory ... can you do it?

This quizz has been supplied by a draw refusal case between Noblevillain and Edwinvandebraak. Effectively the time elapsed without game evolution and the fact that Noblevilain was asking for the draw made it a clear draw. Nevertheless Edwinvendebraak has 4 major pieces left but no miner while Noblevillain has 3 miners, 3 sergeants and 1 scout. If Edwinvandebraak can trap this scout he would get a clear victory. How can he do it and at same time protect his flag (Edwinvandebraak plays with blue)?

http://imgur.com/x43zkDT

• Lonello likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users