Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:08 AM

Yeah,

Sorry, I meant wedge. I ve made a mistake here spelling the name.

What i mean by that, is moving around the bombs easier with a wedge, than the configuration I had in the example above.

Thanks again.

I don't think that the bomb structure matters in this case. 2 miners + 1 other piece almost always win against 2 top-rank pieces.

Edited by TemplateRex, 02 January 2019 - 01:08 AM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#322 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:36 AM

at the end of the 3 squares he moves a 4th one to start threatening the next captain

E.g. the first captain that starts on I5 may think he can escape to the 3 squares H8-I8-J8,

That blue captain never goes to those three squares. He turns the corner on the 7th rank, going from I7 to H7 to G7, etc.

There's no way the red major catches a thing unless blue makes the mistake you describe.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#323 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:53 AM

Yeah,

What i mean by that, is moving around the bombs easier with a wedge, than the configuration I had in the example above.

Thanks again.

Hi mogi in general double bombs next to flag is not the best choice for flag defense you want to usually put a miner seargent luit next to flag. Obviously you have to switch it up sometimes but for general ranks this is fine. Also try placing flag under the lake instead of the middle lane so you have an easier time not getting pinned and such which is a big fault with a middle flag. Or at aleast a corner and make sure to defend against a blitz on that side and u should he fine regarding flag.
At the moment many top stratego players dont play for the flag but play for pieces advantage and control of board so if your playing someone better than you a open flag is fine but keep more of your bombs back row since you arent expecting lotto. If your playing someone worse protect flag under lake :) the key to get better at stratego is learning the basic fundamentals and that should be good enough to boost anyone to 800+
  • mojitococo likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#324 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

That blue captain never goes to those three squares. He turns the corner on the 7th rank, going from I7 to H7 to G7, etc.

There's no way the red major catches a thing unless blue makes the mistake you describe.

but Gary, when the red major is in H7 the blue captain is forced to go to G7, then red major goes to G7 forcing blue cap to F7, then red major goes to G8 threatening the 2nd captain, who is forced to move to D9 and then D8, C8. B8, A8 red major always threatening, then A7, A6 (3 squares), then red major follows B7, B6 and then again goes to B5 and starts threatening 3rd captain, same 3 squares B4,C4,D4 and then switches to 4th captain by moving E4, then 4th captain is forced to move vertically and red major finds then threatening both 4th and 1st captain in E7

• TemplateRex likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#325 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Yeah,

Thanks again.

2 strong pieces vs 2 miners is usually a loss, but if one of the miner is still in the opponent's field you may force a draw in the below situation. Even if you don't know where the miners are you have to guess and be lucky with your guess. Mainly miners are coming from back row or 3rd row, so it may be an indication. In the example below most likely your marsh is cornering one miner while the 2nd captain is in J6. So if you can block the miner in F7 from passing to your field you may get a draw. So move your col F3-F4. If he moves miner F7 to G7 just follow him with your col F4-G4. If he goes left F7-E7 follow him with your col F4-E4. If he moves another piece, move your col back F4-F3. Always make sure your col is in the same column as the miner, so he will not be able to pass it. If you can survive 5 minutes without game evolution you could claim for draw. 

fkdDL8t.jpg

Quizz: is there a parade for blue to let his last miner coming in?

• TemplateRex and mojitococo like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#326 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

fkdDL8t.jpg

Quizz: is there a parade for blue to let his last miner coming in?

After 1. f3-f4 blue plays (f7-e7) 2. f4-e4 (j6-j7) 3. e4-e3 (j7-j8) 4. e3-e4 (j8-i8) 5. e4-e3 (i8-j8) red has to give up the e-file with 6. e3-f3 (e7-e6!) and the miner is diagonal.

So red needs to move forward with 5. e4-e5 (e7-f7) 6. e5-f5 (f7-g7) 7. f5-f4 (g7-h7) 8. f4-g4 (h7-i7) 9. g4-h4 (i7-j7!) 10. h4-i4 (j7-j6) and the miner is diagonal again. Note that it’s best to move the captain up to the 8-th row so it won’t accidentally block the miner.

IIRC, this theme was one of your first quizzes here :)
  • Napoleon 1er likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#327 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

what if the bomb setup from D1E1F1D2E2red is shifted 2 square on left. Instead of D1E1F1D2E2 you had B1C1D1B2C2?

#328 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

what if the bomb setup from D1E1F1D2E2red is shifted 2 square on left. Instead of D1E1F1D2E2 you had B1C1D1B2C2?

1. f3-f4 (f7-e7) 2. f4-e4 (e7-d7) 3. e4-c4 (d7-c7) 4. d4-c4 (j6-j7) 5. c4-c3 (j7-j8) 6. c3-c4 (j8-i8) 7. b3-a3! (a4-a5*) 8. a3-a4 and keep chasing the miner until it finds 3 squares and then red plays c4-d3 again since the 3-move counter over c3/c4 has been reset. After every two times over c3/c4, red chases the other miner for 1 or 2 moves and resets the 3-move counter on c3/c4 again. So draw IMO.

#329 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

After 1. f3-f4 blue plays (f7-e7) 2. f4-e4 (j6-j7) 3. e4-e3 (j7-j8) 4. e3-e4 (j8-i8) 5. e4-e3 (i8-j8) red has to give up the e-file with 6. e3-f3 (e7-e6!) and the miner is diagonal.
So red needs to move forward with 5. e4-e5 (e7-f7) 6. e5-f5 (f7-g7) 7. f5-f4 (g7-h7) 8. f4-g4 (h7-i7) 9. g4-h4 (i7-j7!) 10. h4-i4 (j7-j6) and the miner is diagonal again. Note that it’s best to move the captain up to the 8-th row so it won’t accidentally block the miner.
IIRC, this theme was one of your first quizzes here :)

Perhaps red can also play 5. b3-a3 (a4-b4) 6. a3-b3 (b4-a4) and now 7. e4-e3 is ok again. So draw?

#330 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>dbvzVoQ.jpgRed to play, all pieces except the red major and blue captains are unknown Quiz Nr. 6 by TemplateRex (inspired by a similarly themed puzzle by maxroelofs):

• How can the red major force the win of one of the blue captains?

but Gary, when the red major is in H7 the blue captain is forced to go to G7, then red major goes to G7 forcing blue cap to F7, then red major goes to G8 threatening the 2nd captain, who is forced to move to D9 and then D8, C8. B8, A8 red major always threatening, then A7, A6 (3 squares), then red major follows B7, B6 and then again goes to B5 and starts threatening 3rd captain, same 3 squares B4,C4,D4 and then switches to 4th captain by moving E4, then 4th captain is forced to move vertically and red major finds then threatening both 4th and 1st captain in E7

First of all, G8 is a bomb, Napoleon!

Okay, you meant H8 for the red major. (The move by the red major to H7 forced the first blue captain to move to F7 in evasion.) Now the red major on H7 moves to H8 and threatens the blue captain on H9. Fine. How does the major ever capture the second captain? The second blue captain will evade from H9 all the way to D9, with the red major in hot pursuit along the 9th rank. Then the second captain will move to D8 and the red major will match and move to E8. The first blue captain is safe on F7 because the red major is now chasing the second captain by moving from E9 to E8. When the second blue captain then runs away from D8 to C8 to B8 to A8 and assuming he is followed along the 8th rank by the red major both the first and second captains will be safe. The second blue captain will reach the A file where he has three squares (A8,A7,A6) to roam in and is untouchable. If red decides to pursue the potential third captain (sitting all the while on B4), then that third captain can easily turn the corner and find three squares to bounce back and forth in as well. So all captains will therefore remain untouchable as far as I can see.

The hopping TR described is nice but unless the red major can work its
way into a trap of any of them, the captains will be able to elude to eternity. I don't see a trap yet.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#331 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

First of all, G8 is a bomb, Napoleon!

Okay, you meant H8 for the red major. (The move by the red major to H7 forced the first blue captain to move to F7 in evasion.) Now the red major on H7 moves to H8 and threatens the blue captain on H9. Fine. How does the major ever capture the second captain? The second blue captain will evade from H9 all the way to D9, with the red major in hot pursuit along the 9th rank. Then the second captain will move to D8 and the red major will match and move to E8. The first blue captain is safe on F7 because the red major is now chasing the second captain by moving from E9 to E8. When the second blue captain then runs away from D8 to C8 to B8 to A8 and assuming he is followed along the 8th rank by the red major both the first and second captains will be safe. The second blue captain will reach the A file where he has three squares (A8,A7,A6) to roam in and is untouchable. If red decides to pursue the potential third captain (sitting all the while on B4), then that third captain can easily turn the corner and find three squares to bounce back and forth in as well. So all captains will therefore remain untouchable as far as I can see.

way into a trap of any of them, the captains will be able to elude to eternity. I don't see a trap yet.

watch again the 3rd captain ... he can only evade in B3-C3-D3, right? so when red major is in D4 he then moves D5 to force the 4th captain to retreat ... chess-mate

#332 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

If red decides to pursue the potential third captain (sitting all the while on B4), then that third captain can easily turn the corner and find three squares to bounce back and forth in as well. So all captains will therefore remain untouchable as far as I can see.

The 3rd captain has 3 escape areas:
1) B3-C3-D3: red major drives cap to D3, then goes to D4 and next move to E4, pushing the 4th captain to D7 and double attacks on E7 (the first captain is still on F7!)
2) C2-D2-E2: red major drives cap to E2, then goes to E3 and next move to E4, same as above
3) D4-D3-D2: red major drives cap to D4, then goes to C4, then D4 and next move E4 again.

As I wrote before: it’s not enough to just superficially glance at the board and find 3 empty squares, you also need to look for adjacent squares that can launch a new chase. In this case, the 4th captain will always be driven to D7, and a double attack on E7 is inevitable.

#333 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,071 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

Okay, you got me, guys.

E7 for the kill. 🙃

Nice puzzle! 🙂
  • TemplateRex likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

#334 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 02 January 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#335 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Now that you've shown us your quizzes, I sure hope you're not going to show us your testes.

#336 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

recently I've been with blue in the below board situation:

lbXIJ6R.jpg

the unknown red pieces left are a lieut, 2 miners, 2 bombs and 1 flag. earlier in the game i found a bomb on F8. The piece on the left of my sergeant is obviously a miner with the lieut in D9 as he didn't capture my serg in this positin since several turns, flag is obviously in C10 (at least for the quizz we have to consider it there). Because of the bomb configuration my guess is that his last miner is sealed in in J8.

red knows only my sergeant but between the 5 other movable pieces he doesn't know which one is miner and which one is scout.

the game ended as a draw but question is if can I win? If yes how?

blue has the move

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 09 March 2019 - 09:06 AM.

• Lord Invader and TemplateRex like this

#337 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

recently I've been with blue in the below board situation:

the game ended as a draw but question is if can I win? If yes how?

blue has the move

I put this on the board, but I couldn't find a win. Not even with all blue pieces equal to a scout. Perhaps there is a tricky way to let red chase continuously and force him to let a blue piece through to the flag. Did you find a win yourself?

Edited by TemplateRex, 09 March 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#338 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

I put this on the board, but I couldn't find a win. Not even with all blue pieces equal to a scout. Perhaps there is a tricky way to let red chase continuously and force him to let a blue piece through to the flag. Did you find a win yourself?

He won one against me and I won one against him, but the was he found was as you said, to force red chasing

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#339 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,781 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

mathematically if you can exchange your serg for a red serg your 2 scouts could bring  you a win ... but how to do it?

#340 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

I haven't worked it all out, but I'd use the Miner at F8 to clear the bombs and destroy Red's Miner on the right side.    Your Sergeant keeps the Lieutenant pinned; Red will be forced to move a Sergeant.

The first few moves could be:

1. F8>G8 - C9>C8
  2. C7>E7 - C8>D8? 
  3. G8xG7 

Or, would Red try to trap the Miner at A8 with B10>A10?

If you're Blue, if Red moves to A10, do you move: G7>H7 and allow the Red Sergeant to chase? I think so.  He can't capture that Miner, and the other Sergeant can't assist b/c of the Scout. If Red starts a chase, Blue waits until he quits, then moves: H7xH8.

Red then would either have to stall/chase until forced to stop by rule, then Blue moves H8xI8, and so on until he finds the Red Miner on the right.  The two Blue Miners then clear the remainder of the right side, then Blue:

• Moves the Scout: H10>J10
  • Moves a Miner to the center of the field
  • Moves the Sergeant: E10>F10
  • If Red moves the Lieutenant right to keep the Sergeant pinned, continue to move right as far as I10, then move the Miner in the center up to threaten the Miner at D10
  • If Red Moves a Sergeant instead, retreat the Blue Sergeant and attempt to exchange or skirt around to the left
  • If Red Moves the Miner, attempt to exchange Miners and/or put the central Scout on the back row between the flag and your Sergeant

Not sure if this can be done successfully with perfect play from Red, but that's what I'm thinking.

Great quiz, Napoleon!

Edited by Lord Invader, 09 March 2019 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users