General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Dear Stratego community,

This forum is something I wanted to create since some times already but I let it get mature. Now it is mature and I look forward to soon see quizz and contributions from other players as well. 

As in Chess you have these kind of little quizz like "problems to make chess mat in 2 moves or in 3 moves" (and you can find lots of books on these problems) I thought it would be good to have something similar for Stratego. This is here the main topic of this forum. Anybody can post here some stratego "quizz"  or particular situations (preferred are those based on real experiences made during games played on this website) where the solution to get the victory was not obvious.

To not generate any mess in this forum I'm asking anybody who wishes to be author and post a quizz to give it a number, write by whom it is posted and give it a title. For example my first quizz will be identified as follows: "Quizz N°1 by Napoleon 1er - The danger of the chat ".

On this forum you are free and welcome to reply, make comments or give your own opinions or solutions or ask for additional clarifications if necessary.

For the solutions and explanations another forum will be created where the answers shall be posted by their author within 1 week to 1 month from their posting here.

But before we start  I have 2 little preliminary quizz. You may know in chess the famous problem " How to place 8 Queens on a chess board without having any of the 8 queens threatening another one?".

On this forum the word threatening (or threaten) will mean "beeing in degree to attack, so in stratego it means a piece is threatening another one if it is placed on a directly neighbour cell (right, left, up or down), except for the scouts who can threaten from long distance horizontally or vertically as long as there is no obstacles in between.

So let's go for the preliminary quizz N°1:

What is the maximum number of  scouts that can be placed on a stratego board without having any of them threatening another one?

• maxroelofs, The Prof, Kernel Mustard and 1 other like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#2 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Preliminary quizz N°2 by Napoleon 1er - minimum number of bombs

... The first preliminary quizz was to easy, right? ... so what about the 2nd one:

Can you find a way to place 7 bombs in your field (your 40 cells where you usually place your initial setup) in such a way that, in this zone of the battlefield,  there will be no 6 cells rectangle left without any bomb in it (= any zone of 6x1 or 3x2 cells shall be occupied by at least 1 bomb)

Below you have a solution with 8 bombs ... the question is can you make it with 7 bombs only?

http://imgur.com/0MbCVWH

• maxroelofs likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#3 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Quizz N°1 by Napoleon - The danger of the chat

In the situation described in attachment it is opponent's (red) turn to play. When I had reached this situation my opponent (red) a bronze general asked me in the chat if I want to tie. i thought 2 seconds and then I replied in the chat: " No, this situation is not a draw, if you ask me to tie I understand that your last sergeant is plugged behind 3 bombs and your flag is open, so with my 3 miners against your 2 captains I have a clear victory"

Then he disconnected from the game and gave me the victory. The question is: Was his decision correct or did I bluff with my answer in the chat?

Question 2: What if it would be your turn (blue) to play with exactly the same situation on the board?

Question 3: Can you find a way to place the 3 blue miners and 2 red captains on the board with at least 1 cell distance between each other (no piece is adjacent to another one) on this board (all other pieces bombs, flags, sergeant remain unchanged) in such a way that it will be a clear victory for red if red has to play?

http://imgur.com/Kiye2ZJ

#4 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Quizz N°2 by Napoleon 1er - 2square rules is active over long distance and above the lakes

In this game I had against a top ten ELO ranked player, I was playing with blue and I made a fatal mistake. Red was pursuing my miner with his major (from the right of the board) and I suddenly found myself plugged by my 2 bombs in diagonal of his major. It is blue turn to play. At this stage of the game my analysis of the situation was the following: red flag is in G1 behind 3 bombs. In E1 there is the last  red scout (because scouts are strategically more powerful when placed in front of an opening between the lakes or on right or left of the board, rather than behind a lake) and in D1 there is the last red miner. This assumption has proven to be 100% correct (and for the quizz you have to assume this is a correct hypothesis and all red pièces are exactly placed like that) so my rationale was to think that because in this situation I cannot win I have to find the draw, so to get a draw I have to attack his miner with mine and I moved my miner from E9 to E8. Why was this a fatal error which gave the victory to red? ... (NB: the title of the quizz may help you to find the answer)

Question 2: What should have been the best blue move instead and what would have been the outcome of the game draw or blue victory?

http://imgur.com/Z9MndqL

• maxroelofs likes this

#5 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Quizz N°3 by Napoleon 1er - the Power against the Quantity

I had this game against a silver ranked greek player (maybe he will recognize himself). My last move was to jump (lotto) with my last lieutnant from G2 on bomb on G1 ( I though in G1 was either the flag or the last unmoved piece). Right after this red moved his last by me unknown piece from E1 to E2.

You know last red's captain in E3 and colonel in D4 as well as 1 red's lieutnant in I7 but you still have a doubt among the last 2 movable pieces which one is the miner and which one the lieutnant (in such case for the quizz you have to assume that you always have the worst case for you (no bet on luck)). Red knows your colonel in C7 and your scout in J4 (because you moved it over long distance before). He knows also that your pieces in A7, B10, F5 and H8 have moved but he doesn't know who is who.

At this stage of the game because red is up 2 lieutnants and 1 captain against you your analysis of the situation is the following: The red flag is in C1 between 2 bombs and the 2 other bombs are in F3 and H3. The end of the game has proven that this assumption was 100% correct. So your objective in this quizz is to bring by any means one of your piece on cell C1 before he brings his last miner to your flag. You have to consider that red will always play the best move for him (luck is never going to help you), So what is your next move which will ensure a 100% victory for you?

From my analysis of this situation blue gets victory only if making the right next move which will oblige red to play exactly what blue wants him to play. There are several possibilities but the first blue move in this situation is crucial to ensure blue's victory

http://imgur.com/ylKWbse

#6 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Brilliant! I support this thread with all my hearth. 

Quiz Nr 1 by Maxroelofs - minimum number of bombs 2.

Can you find a way to place 6 bombs in your field (your 40 cells where you usually place your initial setup) in such a way that, in this zone of the battlefield,  there will be no 2x3 cells rectangle left without any bomb in it.

Edit: Can you explain ''the danger of chat'' a bit more, I don't really get it. 

Quiz nr 2:

Your opponents takes your miner with his major, you take he is major, now it is kolonel vs miner and scout, your opponent can force a square rule advantage with his last scout so you lose by him taking your flag, what you should have done is move your kolonel D8 to D7, then move it D7 to E7 then you move your kolonel E7 to F7, you are now threathening his major and he moves to the left, now you bring your kolonel to the right to block his incoming miner, then your opponent freezes your miner by putting it on a diagonal, you still lose the game because he forces a square rule advantage with his scout, this puzzle has no solution.

To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#7 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Max for this positive reply. Regarding your quizz N°1 Do You have a solution? Mathematically it should be impossible because 6x6 makes 36 so you'll always have 4 cells left which will leave open areas somewhere and you'll always find a 6 cells rectangle somewhere in the 40 cells

By "danger of the chat" I mean sometimes in the chat and without realizing it you communicate some information to your opponent which helps him to understand a part of your tactics or of your setup. In this Quizz N°1 I'll give more explanations in the "answers" forum when I will create it within 1 week to 1 month.

Napoleon 1er

#8 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

6x1 rectangles are allowed, only 2x3 rectangles are not allowed, and yes I have the answer right here so there is a solution. :)

By the way on the puzzle with the scouts the answer is 10 scouts.

Well you really got me with the last one, it's quite hard sometimes to be able to find the answer because I didn't understand the question at first. Anyway, you have entertained me with it for almost an hour already, maybe we can try to make a few of the puzzles in video form, so we could post them on youtube. 

About Nr 1:

I found out, the maximum result is a draw, winning is impossible.

#9 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Quiz nr 2 by Maxroelofs - scouts

What's the maximum amount of scouts placed with every scout threatening one other scout. Remember every scout must threaten one other scout, not zero, not two, only one.

You are allowed to cut your strategoboard in two pieces in the quiz, just how you like it.

Goodluck!

#10 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Follow-up to Preliminary Quiz #1:  Suppose you allow six bombs on each side of the board.  What is the maximum number of scouts that can be placed so that no two threaten each other?

• TemplateRex likes this

#11 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Proposed solution to Quiz #2:  The first part is the same as what Max wrote, but I think that blue can at least earn a draw by countering the red miner with his miner instead of with his colonel.  The correct set of moves for blue is:

Blue:  Colonel D8 to D7

Red:  Miner E1 to E2

Blue:  Colonel D7 to E7

Red:  Moves Scout or Miner

Blue: Colonel E7 to F7 (threatens major)

Red:  Major F8 to E8 (threatens miner)

Blue:  Miner E9 to F9 (is now free of the major)

Now, if red thinks he can win by bringing his miner down the left side [column B] blue will in fact win the game.  This is because blue's colonel can freeze the red major for enough time while blue advances his miner up the right side (column I).  When blue finally must release the major in order to prevent the red miner from getting his flag it is too late for the red major to catch the blue miner.

If red plays correctly, however, he can force a draw by moving his miner to the right side and blocking the blue miner.  Because red has the scout to move whenever he wants, blue will be unable to get a two-squares advantage on red and so he will be blocked.  If the miners trade then neither player can get the flag or capture his opponents pieces.

Therefore, if both players make optimal moves, the game should be a draw. 

#12 The Prof

The Prof

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • 1,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

On this forum you are free and welcome to reply, make comments or give your own opinions or solutions or ask for additional clarifications if necessary.

People who want to have fun working these out on their own should avoid reading any post that has the word "solution" at the beginning.

#13 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Great ideas, but not all correct, answers with explanations will be posted separately and later as declared. Just one thing seems to have been misunderstood: In preliminary quizz N°2 neither 1x6 nor 2x3 rectangles without a bomb in them are allowed.

#14 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

See answers to Quizz N1 below:

In the situation described in attachment it is opponent's (red) turn to play. When I had reached this situation my opponent (red) a bronze general asked me in the chat if I want to tie. i thought 2 seconds and then I replied in the chat: " No, this situation is not a draw, if you ask me to tie I understand that your last sergeant is plugged behind 3 bombs and your flag is open, so with my 3 miners against your 2 captains I have a clear victory"

Then he disconnected from the game and gave me the victory. The question is: Was his decision correct or did I bluff with my answer in the chat?  If your plan is to hit H1, J1, or I2 with your miner (releasing his sergeant), then his decision is incorrect, as he could win the game in that situation.  He could only win in this situation if his sergeant is released (By the way, I recommend against using a setup where your sergeant is bombed in).  If your plan is to hit only the other pieces (F1 or G1), then his decision is correct, as he will lose.   

Question 2: What if it would be your turn (blue) to play with exactly the same situation on the board?  Advance the middle miner forward.  Continue advancing all the miners until he is forced to allow one of them to pass into the back row (E1), at which point he will be unable to defend his flag.

Question 3: Can you find a way to place the 3 blue miners and 2 red captains on the board with at least 1 cell distance between each other (no piece is adjacent to another one) on this board (all other pieces bombs, flags, sergeant remain unchanged) in such a way that it will be a clear victory for red if red has to play?  Yes.  Miners are located on E10, H10, and J10.  Captains are located on F9 and I8.  Captain on I8 advances to I9.  

#15 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Answer to Quizz N°2 by Maxroelofs: The maximum number of scouts you can place on the stratego board in such a way that each scout threathens maximum 1 other scout is "twice as much as the answer for preliminary quizz N°1 by Napoleon 1er which answer  is not 10". The answer to preliminary quizz N°1 will be given in the answers forum later.

Good quizz thank you Max.

Napoleon 1er

#16 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi The prof. My answer to your extension of preliminary quizz N°1 is: I have a solution for 22 scouts but I'm not sure it is the maximum ... :P

Napoleon 1er

• TemplateRex likes this

#17 Enigma

Enigma

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

See the answer to Quiz N2 below.

Quizz N°2 by Napoleon 1er - 2square rules is active over long distance and above the lakes

In this game I had against a top ten ELO ranked player I was playing with blue and I made a fatal mistake. Red was pursuing my miner with his major (from the right of the board) and I suddenly found myself plugged by my 2 bombs in diagonal of his major. It is blue turn to play. At this stage of the game my analysis of the situation was the following: red flag is in G1 behind 3 bombs. In E1 there is the last  red scout (because scouts are strategically more powerful when placed in front of an opening between the lakes or on right or left of the board, rather than behind a lake) and in D1 there is the last red miner. This assumption has proven to be 100% correct (and for the quizz you have to assume this is a correct hypothesis and all red pièces are exactly placed like that) so my rationale was to think that because in this situation I cannot win I have to find the draw, so to get a draw I have to attack his miner with mine and I moved my miner from E9 to E8. Why was this a fatal error which gave the victory to red? ... (NB: the title of the quizz may halp you to find the answer) 

You cannot give up your last miner in this situation.   When you move your miner to E8, your opponent takes the miner, and you take his major.  Now you are left with a single piece (colonel) against two of his pieces (miner and scout).  Since your opponent has two movable pieces, he can match his miner against your colonel, and then he can move his other piece.  You will not be able to defend your flag legally against his miner.  In this situation, it doesn't actually matter where on the board the two pieces are, so long as he cannot capture either of them on the next turn.  

Question 2: What should have been the best blue move instead and what would have been the outcome of the game draw or blue victory?

Best move for blue (really the ONLY move for blue) would be to move the colonel to D7, then E7, forcing his major to release your miner.  After your miner is no longer trapped, blue should move his miner toward red's flag.  Red should try to block blue's miner from crossing the lake and should try to trade miners.  Game should end in a draw.

#18 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

For the time beeing nobody has found 100% correct answers. I'm going to post the answers for the preliminary quizz in the next days and the first 3 quizz answers will be posted by end of february.

Napoleon 1er

#19 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

If any of you are interested in a game that teaches you all of these chess tactics and secrets, and yes I did say chess.  Play the game Majestic Chess by the Hoyle company.  It is a single player campaign chess learning software with great graphics and an even better computer A.I.  really improved my game.

"Everyone pities the weak, jealousy you have to earn."

#20 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

See answers to Quizz N1 below:

Napoleon 1er, on 01 Feb 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:snapback.png

Question 3: Can you find a way to place the 3 blue miners and 2 red captains on the board with at least 1 cell distance between each other (no piece is adjacent to another one) on this board (all other pieces bombs, flags, sergeant remain unchanged) in such a way that it will be a clear victory for red if red has to play?  Yes.  Miners are located on E10, H10, and J10.  Captains are located on F9 and I8.  Captain on I8 advances to I9.  

Am I missing something here?  Enigma, you have a red Miner solving the puzzle at E10, but a blue bomb is already in that square.  I don't think it hurts much a potential solution here, but something needs to be tweaked.  Thanks for a response.

GLS

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users