#1101 Wogomite

Wogomite

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 301 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Col Chop Chop, I think it would be brilliant if someone was able to go 17-1 on there first try online just three months after finding the Stratego board for the first time. I hope to find out that this is true because if so, your talent won't stop prevailing until you are in the top five. A quick learner like yourself will peak no sooner than years/thousands of games played so you have an amazing future we should all be anticipating to see from you. 

Please let me share with you my story. I was shown Stratego by a friend in high school. He stomped me 4 times in a row...after pondering strategy and setup for two days, I could not wait to play him again. I tell you the truth, I beat him the next five games. I was a natural and he never played me again. I started telling everyone about the game and even made my own board a month later. One guy could beat me and only about 40% of the time. I rarely lost and I make this bold statement for a reason coming up. For Six entire years (me becoming better and better) I searched for Stratego online and somehow never found gravon or metaforge but one day in 2012...I FOUND STRATEGO.COM!!!! I threw a party for a week, I could not believe I could play people anytime and I loved it more than I should have. Here is the kicker, as naturally talented I was in the game, I came in thinking I would stomp the world....I did the opposite. I went 18-18 in my first 36 games. That is when I knew Stratego was much more complicated than I thought. How could I lose so much online? I had to find out so I played and I played and I played! It literally took two years for me to learn very intricate relationships between ranks and how their dynamic is best understood. I had no idea that each match had a very specific personality that created an image for me but after 6 years of playing online, I am starting to feel more comfortable with how the board flows in it's intricate ways. 

Lastly, I have found that the competition is only getting harder. More and more players are learning this game at an earlier rank which makes the old 500 elo now play similar at the now 350 elo. What I'm saying is that being 17-1 today is much much harder to achieve than it was six years ago when I started out only going 18-18 with no online experience but as I said, if you can go 17-1 in your first try, in six months you will have at least 900 points and possibly even 1000. If not, I hate to inform that it may confirm my friends suspicion several posts back that you are indeed just another stagnant player that has started another alias and probably won't get any better than the low platinum they truly are. I guess only time will tell. 

Good to meet you Col Chop Chop

• Colonel Chop Chop likes this

#1102 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 2 weeks ago

Col Chop Chop, I think it would be brilliant if someone was able to go 17-1 on there first try online just three months after finding the Stratego board for the first time. I hope to find out that this is true because if so, your talent won't stop prevailing until you are in the top five. A quick learner like yourself will peak no sooner than years/thousands of games played so you have an amazing future we should all be anticipating to see from you. 

Please let me share with you my story. I was shown Stratego by a friend in high school. He stomped me 4 times in a row...after pondering strategy and setup for two days, I could not wait to play him again. I tell you the truth, I beat him the next five games. I was a natural and he never played me again. I started telling everyone about the game and even made my own board a month later. One guy could beat me and only about 40% of the time. I rarely lost and I make this bold statement for a reason coming up. For Six entire years (me becoming better and better) I searched for Stratego online and somehow never found gravon or metaforge but one day in 2012...I FOUND STRATEGO.COM!!!! I threw a party for a week, I could not believe I could play people anytime and I loved it more than I should have. Here is the kicker, as naturally talented I was in the game, I came in thinking I would stomp the world....I did the opposite. I went 18-18 in my first 36 games. That is when I knew Stratego was much more complicated than I thought. How could I lose so much online? I had to find out so I played and I played and I played! It literally took two years for me to learn very intricate relationships between ranks and how their dynamic is best understood. I had no idea that each match had a very specific personality that created an image for me but after 6 years of playing online, I am starting to feel more comfortable with how the board flows in it's intricate ways. 

Lastly, I have found that the competition is only getting harder. More and more players are learning this game at an earlier rank which makes the old 500 elo now play similar at the now 350 elo. What I'm saying is that being 17-1 today is much much harder to achieve than it was six years ago when I started out only going 18-18 with no online experience but as I said, if you can go 17-1 in your first try, in six months you will have at least 900 points and possibly even 1000. If not, I hate to inform that it may confirm my friends suspicion several posts back that you are indeed just another stagnant player that has started another alias and probably won't get any better than the low platinum they truly are. I guess only time will tell. 

Good to meet you Col Chop Chop

Interesting story Wogomite! I like it.

But I really doubt I will be that great a player. In my first few games, a lot of players were just reckless. I just entered the 300-400 rank. And now I meet more serious players and start losing more.

I think I just got lucky with my first streak. It was just sad a few people got suspicious over it.

#1103 Losermaker

Losermaker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have a relative that had a record of 12-3 for his first 15 games, and he was 8, I also had another who has played about 20 games max in their life and plays like a gold col, no kidding. It is not hard to win 17 and lose 1 here, it just takes a bit of luck to not hit a better player who has made a new account at the same time.

I will eat my words though if Choppy hits platinum in the next month or two :lol:

#1104 Wogomite

Wogomite

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 301 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I will say, not that I fully trust you for only time will allow for that but on your behalf, no one under 300 points knows this game at a deeper level of primarily lotto. So any decent understanding of the game should easily outplay these players. The hard thing to understand is, how did you obtain a knowledge of a strong defense and defensive setup without playing different styles. Surely lotto would have knocked you off balance more than one game in eighteen. So my question to you is how did you over come lotto defensively without the practical experience teaching you? This was one of the more challenging things about Stratego in my opinion. 

#1105 Wogomite

Wogomite

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 301 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have a relative that had a record of 12-3 for his first 15 games, and he was 8, I also had another who has played about 20 games max in their life and plays like a gold col, no kidding. It is not hard to win 17 and lose 1 here, it just takes a bit of luck to not hit a better player who has made a new account at the same time.

I must ask, were you someone that played them the most? That would sky rocket any players skill.

Who needs online when they have losermaker himself to teach you live?  ;)

#1106 Losermaker

Losermaker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 2 weeks ago

lol no, I had never played the 8 yr old, he played with his family. and the other one I have played twice I think.

Edited by Losermaker, 2 weeks ago.

#1107 Wogomite

Wogomite

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 301 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

lol no, I had never played the 8 yr old, he played with his family. and the other one I have played twice I think.

It does make both of these players you are talking about impressive. A true prodigy it sounds. 

#1108 Losermaker

Losermaker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Captain

Posted 2 weeks ago

I hope so, Australia could use a few more players ;)

• rgillis783 and Fks like this

#1109 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Once again I think the colonel will speak for themselves. I did get in a match the other day-I asked the colonel if it was ok to share and they said yes. Game was a friendly, I mentioned I would play a staple set up I use. Game was over fairly quickly with the colonels surrender. I shared this encounter with another player so now I share it with all.Player could be a 100% alias but they showed manners a good set up-- oh ya 5 loses last time I looked..  :mellow:

#1110 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,550 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

Pathetic.Absolutely pathetic. He does this every stupid time we play. I slaughter him, and he's butthurt... so he accused me of wasting time in chat, then runs down the clock and disconnects. 

https://imgur.com/a/2e4Ehk5

• rgillis783 and KissMyCookie like this

I'm always a winner- win or lose the game. I take my mistakes and learn from them!

-Fairway, December 2015

#1111 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 795 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

31747849_1999798193617302_42984349924652

• Fks likes this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#1112 oej

oej

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 2 weeks ago

https://pasteboard.co/Hjyn2Gr.jpg

#1113 Fks

Fks

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 677 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

https://pasteboard.co/Hjyn2Gr.jpg

Will you apologize to Major Nelson for stealing his time?

On Gravon they ban players who disconnect after a loss game and don't surrender. Maybe we should implement a less harsh punishment but at least some sort of ELO deduction. For players who disconnect :)
  • Nortrom and KissMyCookie like this

Proud committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

Join here, http://forum.strateg...bers-join-here/

Youtube videos here, https://www.youtube....WbT-rTS9k_ntEnA

#1114 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you didn't like MisterTimRules disconnecting from you, enough to post a photo here, why then did you disconnect from Major Nelson?!?!?!  :huh:

#1115 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Started Sunday meeting an old friend and NOT making a friend with Pandorum . :P

https://imgur.com/a/9kVbnw1

Edited by rgillis783, 2 weeks ago.

• KissMyCookie likes this

#1116 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted A week ago

The Swordsmaster played well up to were they LOST !! Also had a few words for me but that is different matter ! :lol:

https://imgur.com/a/JH4OaHA

#1117 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted A week ago

Brother RAY!!!!!!  :D

You were up a captain and two lieutenants, and this guy was still playing you??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You are totally righteous, bro! Way to go! WAY TO GO!!! :)

• rgillis783 likes this

#1118 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted A day ago

Going into weekend down rank but head held high--unlike Run755--Who ran after losing Colonel to known Marshal, Oh while.

https://imgur.com/a/GG7T655

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users