rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

Goes to show ya Dis-connectors are in all ranks. I got crushed all the way to Bronze and got this player -

https://imgur.com/gallery/Sc5VAZh

#1082 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

https://imgur.com/a/SARCbz1

#1083 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

https://imgur.com/a/irS6kLA

• rgillis783 likes this

#1084 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:42 PM

Considering your own formidable record of 14–1, Colonel Chop Chop, you would appear to have rather sharp Stratego skills. Did you play on this site before this current time? If yes, what was your previous profile? If no, where did you acquire your fine Stratego skills?

Please try to understand that in the current climate of this site, I am not attempting to focus any suspicion upon you, but rather to understand and learn more about you and your quality game-plays skills. You are adept at preparing screenshots; you know how to navigate this forum well; and you clearly have good skills to allow you only one loss out of 15 matches.

I look forward to your reply!

• Colonel Chop Chop likes this

#1085 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

he is an alias. mt can request ip check on forum login

• Dobby125, KissMyCookie and Fks like this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#1086 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:56 AM

he is an alias. mt can request ip check on forum login

There is a more simple test we can do! If he beats me he is new if I beat him he is an alias :)

• Dobby125 and KissMyCookie like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#1087 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:07 AM

Considering your own formidable record of 14–1, Colonel Chop Chop, you would appear to have rather sharp Stratego skills. Did you play on this site before this current time? If yes, what was your previous profile? If no, where did you acquire your fine Stratego skills?

Please try to understand that in the current climate of this site, I am not attempting to focus any suspicion upon you, but rather to understand and learn more about you and your quality game-plays skills. You are adept at preparing screenshots; you know how to navigate this forum well; and you clearly have good skills to allow you only one loss out of 15 matches.

I look forward to your reply!

Well let me tell you my story. I am a SRE ( Systems Reliability Engineer ) for Google regularly working night shifts. I have been given the board game by a nephew about 3 years ago and I love it. Recently I found Stratego also has an online version so here I am. I usually play at work at the start and end of my shifts. I cannot disclose more details due to company policies, but IP checks will be rather unreliable due to our routing systems. As you understand, strict policies are also in place for sharing screen data hence the cropping of them.

So that is my story. No need to distrust me. I am just here to play. Excited to play a tournament too if my schedule allows it.

Is my record that noticeable? I just thought I was still at the lower levels and figured I would start losing more as I rose. I am not a great player and still learning. I will take it as a compliment though.
  • Losermaker and rgillis783 like this

#1088 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 921 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:08 AM

malcom.jansen 2.0

As someone who has been there anddont that here are some tips on how to do a better job of pretending:

1. Your story is not believable: if you are concerned about privacy, why would you state who your employer is.

2. Volunteer for IP checks, it makes you less suspicious.

3. Don't post screenshots for your first few weeks. Most new players don't know how or bother to do this for awhile.

4. Humble brags just annoy people and will make them more skeptical. I really doubt Google let's their employees play games on the job. At least as Harvard graduate and department head at Amazon, I don't let my employees do that.

5. Purposely throw some games early on so not to stand out.

Edited by astros, 29 April 2018 - 06:19 AM.

• KissMyCookie and Unladen Swallow like this
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#1089 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

https://imgur.com/a/fyNduG4

#1090 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Well let me tell you my story. I am a SRE ( Systems Reliability Engineer ) for Google regularly working night shifts. I have been given the board game by a nephew about 3 years ago and I love it. Recently I found Stratego also has an online version so here I am. I usually play at work at the start and end of my shifts. I cannot disclose more details due to company policies, but IP checks will be rather unreliable due to our routing systems. As you understand, strict policies are also in place for sharing screen data hence the cropping of them.

So that is my story. No need to distrust me. I am just here to play. Excited to play a tournament too if my schedule allows it.

Is my record that noticeable? I just thought I was still at the lower levels and figured I would start losing more as I rose. I am not a great player and still learning. I will take it as a compliment though.

@Colonel Chop Chop–Thanks for the reply. I've got a great investment opportunity for you–I'm selling my share of the Brooklyn Bridge for 1% of its value, and you can even privatize the property as it is a majority share...don't pass this one up...I'm tellin' you!

"Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself." –An old proverb

P.S. Tallman48 can easily beat players at silver colonel level...your story doesn't wash.

#1091 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

I understand that this forum has a history of alias abuse. It is sad though that new members are immediately jumped upon with such unwelcoming distrust. It seems this history here has affected a lot of character and made some paranoid.

I gave you an honest reply because you asked decently and have a right to be concerned. Now I feel pretty tormented. I am here to play and maybe participate in tournaments. I am not here to defend myself against suspicion by affected characters. If you do not believe me, that is your own fault. Decent questions can be asked privately but such public insults will be ignored from now on. That is not what I joined for.

I expect those who insulted me in this way to apologize (public or in private). Be decent.

• Nortrom and 1.Disconnector like this

#1092 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Colonel welcome. You are correct about alias abuse/suspicion here .It is a good place with good people but we have been burned before. If I may suggest ,when you see some of us/these forum members online send friend request and get in a few friendly matchs. Most forum members are familiar with different styles and who uses them. This is one way to settle the suspicion/mystery around you. A matter that you may not be aware of is the Permanently Banned  players.These players are PB for a reason but still try to come back . I hope this is not one of those cases.Enjoy the game be decent as you say and above all have fun !

#1093 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Got this player this AM while I was lounging on my yacht off the coast of the world famous Irish Rivera. Note the skill I have marking out my set-up the true skill of a highly educated player. Lol I love this flipping game!  Player was Sir Beavis.  :lol:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BmOm9md

#1094 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, but I don't believe you. Doesn't matter what your job is.. no one can get 18-1 on first time playing stratego because its a complex game. 

The fact you said yourself you beat someone at 10-0 (who isnt a beginner) shows you have much more experience playing stratego

Loads of people have played stratego since a child but are not very good until starting online. Groundbob played for 40 years but was only a bronze colonel until he improved some more. 

Yes, ip checks are bogus 90% of the time. Easy to evade. But sometimes it does work and sometimes it does show a match. 

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 29 April 2018 - 02:26 PM.

• Dobby125 likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#1095 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Really funny, but the secret is out on your front row flag, my friend... :)

I've played quite a few players that have beaten me in 1 or 2 moves and then lost to me a few weeks later.  Thankfully, most players have bad memories like myself.  And apparently, most don't keep records of their opponents.  :D  

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#1096 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Sorry, but I don't believe you. Doesn't matter what your job is.. no one can get 18-1 on first time playing stratego because its a complex game. 

The fact you said yourself you beat someone at 10-0 (who isnt a beginner) shows you have much more experience playing stratego

Loads of people have played stratego since a child but are not very good until starting online. Groundbob played for 40 years but was only a bronze colonel until he improved some more. 

Yes, ip checks are bogus 90% of the time. Easy to evade. But sometimes it does work and sometimes it does show a match. 

I wouldn't say nobody could go 18-1 on their first try at this site, but it would be extremely difficult.  Most beginning players probably wouldn't know the 2 square rule.  Most probably wouldn't be prepared for lucky marshal/general lottoers.  I think most would have problems playing from behind.  And there are a lot of good players in the low ranks(Just ask FKS).  So winning at an 85% rate or higher would be very difficult.

Anytime you see a player with a ridiculously high win percentage in the lower ranks, you should always assume it's an alias. 

• KissMyCookie and Colonel Chop Chop like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#1097 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

Don't understand the Colonels record myself. The player seems capable of speaking for themselves, I would add the Colonel did sign the alias registry (yesterday). My thinking is not as clear as most of you but ANY player will lose at some point. In the achievements there are win streaks, I got a few. This player the Colonel looks to be onto one themselves I believe . US if you still have suspicions of this player you may need to break out BS meter and double check--just a thought. 

#1098 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

I played an alias with 14-1 record called "Flurrelkut". Of course the classic disconnect in the end once he had lost : o

https://imgur.com/a/dHrkkNE

https://imgur.com/a/PqqomoT

LcKECb4.jpg

tHbfSEf.png

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 01 May 2018 - 08:57 PM.

• rgillis783 likes this

#1099 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

In before Hopless noobs ruin everyone going for a decent record ;)
  • Unladen Swallow likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#1100 Colonel Chop Chop

Colonel Chop Chop

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

https://imgur.com/a/DUZOX36

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users