#1 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Dutch Tournament Manager
  • 1,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Here you can watch my latest stratego game, enjoy it and let me know what you think. :)

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Part 2:

Greetz,

Maxroelofs

• Dekaeneas-Spy and Firmas like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#2 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

I enjoyed it.  That's for uploading the vids.

• maxroelofs likes this

#3 Daniel PL

Daniel PL

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for uploading, coolsetup.

• maxroelofs likes this

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

Here you can watch my latest stratego game, enjoy it and let me know what you think. :)

Part 1:

Part 2:

Greetz,

Maxroelofs

Yeah, I liked the setup.  Nice quick game.  I liked your long life with the scout bluff on his colonel.  Too bad he detected your Marshal late with his scout.  

What stunk was your opponent disconnecting as soon as he blew up his Marshal on that bomb.  If it were at all possible to make it a bad sportsmanship play, I'd lash the fellow another another 10 pts. and give them to you for the pain of suffering through his infraction against civility. I mean, c'mon, hit the resign button.  

Can we do this J.C.?  You get screenshots for more serious glitches and the like.  And you're having to decide on major things like resets and bans.  But what about a simple misdemeanor?  This disconnect was entirely unsportsmanlike.  Even the brutish sport of American football has penalties against "unsportsmanlike" behaviors.  

I say make the penalty 10 pts., plus for the winner and less for the loser.  Should be simpler than deciding a reset or permanent ban right?

GLS

• maxroelofs likes this
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 Midnightguy

Midnightguy

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Gary, it's going to be difficult in some to many cases to determine if a player was legit to disconnect.  How do you know for a fact someone left game because of losing or had to leave suddenly or ISP went down?   Are we to assume only if players who disconnect who  are losing left on purpose?  What about players who were winning but left suddenly?  Does that make it legit then?  Too many variables and the Justice Committee has decided that we would not go this route to go after people who disconnect.  It's an annoyance yes that someone quits instead of hitting the resign button, but that player still get the win either way.  

#6 chefwd76

chefwd76

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Sergeant

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I realize that there are no programmers around at the moment.  In the future when there are programmers to deal with things, I would suggest removing the leave game button for 2 reasons.  The first reason would be that there is no reason for it, other than to annoy your opponent. If a player needs to leave the game they should simply surrender and be a good sport.  If you disconnect and not return the result is the same: you lose.  So I fail to see the need for the leave game button to even exist.  My second reason for removing the leave game button, would be so that cheaters that glitch, are limited to how many times they can do it.  If you manage to survive all 6 (3 tie requests, 3 pause requests) then the cheater runs out of options to glitch you.  So I ask what is even the purpose of the leave game button?    It makes no sense to even have it.  I realize that removing the leave game button is not an option at the moment but I think that would make sense in the future.  

I agree with allowing a player to rejoin if they lose connection, however they have 5 minutes on the game clock to do so.  There will always be class acts who glitch that will try and abuse the system by perhaps hitting the reload button if the leave game button is gone but the timer will count down and the glitcher will get the defeat that they deserve in the end.  

Bottom line: removing the leave game button will cut down on examples of poor sportsmanship and limit a cheater's ability to glitch.

I suppose that is on my wishlist when there are programmers to deal with such issues.

• Napoleon 1er likes this

Let anybody that believe's something is impossible be interrupted by somebody else completing the task, for it is only impossible for those who cannot.

#7 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

Gary, it's going to be difficult in some to many cases to determine if a player was legit to disconnect.  How do you know for a fact someone left game because of losing or had to leave suddenly or ISP went down?   Are we to assume only if players who disconnect who  are losing left on purpose?  What about players who were winning but left suddenly?  Does that make it legit then?  Too many variables and the Justice Committee has decided that we would not go this route to go after people who disconnect.  It's an annoyance yes that someone quits instead of hitting the resign button, but that player still get the win either way.  

Yes, M.G., we've had this conversation before, I know.  You've told me it's technically not possible to absolutely know if a disconnect was accidental or on purpose.  I get it.  On top of this there are certainly iffy situations that deserve the benefit of the doubt for the disconnecting party.  This would generally make it less than profitable for the J.C. to spend time upon these things.  

However, what I'm after is not an adjudication on ALL disconnects, only the FLAGRANT ones.  This one in maxroelof's video was clearly a loser jabbing it to the opponent instantly after he blew up his Marshal on a bomb.  There can be no question as to whether it was accidental or on purpose here.  The fellow should receive the 10+ point slap.  This is like a face mask.  It was bad.  In the NFL, it'd be a 15 yard penalty so maybe that's the number to go with.

Reflecting upon this, though, what I'm not sure of is if simple screenshots can provide the needed time information for future disconnecting issues.  Maxroelof had this superb video, which left nothing to doubt.  But would still screenshots hold enough weight of proof for the issue?  If the J.C. considers bans and resets based upon screenshots, then they should certainly consider flagrant disconnects by some equally cogent proof.  I'm just not sure that that proof could be anything less than a video.  No one will be taking a screenshot right when the opponent blows up his Marshal on a bomb.  Screenshots are usually done for bad things done by the opponent.  So the screenshot proof might be hard to come by, I'm thinking.  Still, I like the thought of penalty points for this violation if it could be demonstrated to the same level you (the J.C.) expect before accepting ban and reset cases.  

M.G., what do you think about the problem of proof for this issue (the FLAGRANT DISCONNECTS)?  Is there less of a problem with the screenshots than I am imagining?  

Thanks,

GLS

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#8 LearningThisGame

LearningThisGame

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

I realize that there are no programmers around at the moment.  In the future when there are programmers to deal with things, I would suggest removing the leave game button for 2 reasons.  The first reason would be that there is no reason for it, other than to annoy your opponent. If a player needs to leave the game they should simply surrender and be a good sport.  If you disconnect and not return the result is the same: you lose.  So I fail to see the need for the leave game button to even exist.  My second reason for removing the leave game button, would be so that cheaters that glitch, are limited to how many times they can do it.  If you manage to survive all 6 (3 tie requests, 3 pause requests) then the cheater runs out of options to glitch you.  So I ask what is even the purpose of the leave game button?    It makes no sense to even have it.  I realize that removing the leave game button is not an option at the moment but I think that would make sense in the future.  

I agree with allowing a player to rejoin if they lose connection, however they have 5 minutes on the game clock to do so.  There will always be class acts who glitch that will try and abuse the system by perhaps hitting the reload button if the leave game button is gone but the timer will count down and the glitcher will get the defeat that they deserve in the end.  

Bottom line: removing the leave game button will cut down on examples of poor sportsmanship and limit a cheater's ability to glitch.

I suppose that is on my wishlist when there are programmers to deal with such issues.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, to which "leave game" button are you referring? I only know of one - right before you setup your pieces. That is there so people can decide to end the game (effectively surrendering) before they setup their pieces.

In the actual gameplay itself, there is no "leave game" button that I know of. Only the surrender button.

How can I help you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users